• 1 large onion, Leave whole for easy removal cut off ends and peel outer skin
• 8 cups water
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 teaspoons salt
Broth: in a large pot, combine the chicken, onion, water, bay leaves and salt.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer low, covered until the chicken is tender, about 1hour. With a spider remove the chicken bay leaves and onion from the broth you have just created.
Remove and throw away the onion and bay leaves.
Let the chicken breasts cool, then cut them or pull them apart into large chunks.
Set the chicken aside for use later.
Note:Prepare the dumplings while the broth is cooking:
For the dumplings:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons butter
Prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together, then make a well in the middle for the milk.
Heat the milk until the butter melts but do not boil, just bring to froth or `130 in the microwave or on the stove. Add the milk to the dry ingredients with a fork just until it forms a dough, do not over mix.
• Make into 1 inch balls or drop by spoonful onto a container keep covered put in the refrigerator until needed.
Ingredients for Chicken stew • 1 cup milk
• ½ cup butter
• ½ cup flour P> • 1/2 cup white wine
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
• 1 cup celery cup ½ inch dice
• 1 cup carrots, scraped or peeled cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 cup onion, cut into ½ inch pieces
• 1/2 cup ½ and ½ or heavy cream
• 1/2 bag or can drained peas
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions for stew creation :
In a large heavy bottom pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
Whisk in the flour stir cook about 3 minutes to make a roux add the carrots, celery and onions continue stirring and cook a couple more minutes while stirring. Whisk in the wine, the reserved chicken broth, seasonings. Continue stirring and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
Cook about 15 more minutes, then add the chicken meat, heavy cream, and peas. Season with salt if needed, add black pepper, to taste.
Place the dumplings on top of the sauce and cover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked about 15 minutes.