Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Crock Pot Method - Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Combine in Crock Pot:
Cut 4 Chicken breast into 1 inch cubes dredged in with ½ cup flour and 2 teaspoons salt.
• 1 large onion, Leave whole for easy removal cut off ends and peel outer skin
• 8 cups water
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 cup milk
• ½ cup butter
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
Broth: in Crock Pot, combine the chicken, onion, water, bay leaves and salt.
Turn Crock Pot on Low for 6 hours.
With a spider remove the chicken bay leaves and onion from the broth you have just created throw away the onion and bay leaves.
Turn the Crock Pot to high and add:
• 1 cup celery cup ½ inch dice
• 1 cup carrots, scraped or peeled cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 cup onion, cut into ½ inch pieces
• 1/2 cup ½ and ½ or heavy cream
• 1/2 bag or can drained peas
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Top with prepared dumplings(recipe below) and keep cooking on high for 1 ½ hours more.
Note:Prepare the dumplings the night before if you like.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons butter
Prepare the dumplings: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together, then make a well in the middle for the milk.
Heat the milk until the butter melts but do not boil, just bring to froth or `130 in the microwave or on the stove. Add the milk to the dry ingredients with a fork just until it forms a dough, do not over mix.
• Make into 1 inch balls or drop by spoonful onto a container keep covered put in the refrigerator until needed.
Serve in bowls.